The Shroud of Silk
Sorcery Extensions – Usually 5 points eachFor the true master of magic, merely being practiced at Sorcery is not enough. Mastery lies in exploring the hidden potential of sorcery. These extensions are suggestions, but are not all the powers that might be discovered by an eager student of the arcane. Extensions specific to a particular power source will be listed on the page for that power source.
- High Compelling: Compelling is the fabled power of the forest witch or the fae under the hill to leave a person changed forever. This ability extends what a sorcerer can do when in psychic contact with someone far beyond the basic freeze, interrogate, or spike that most people are capable of. Minds can be molded, conditioned, their memories mapped, desires rewoven. High Compelling is more effective the greater the psyche advantage on the part of the sorcerer, and more effective on Shadow than Substance. People of Substance can be affected but it takes a great deal of effort and a lot of time even with a strong advantage in psyche, and the potential changes are less. Still, this power is useful for turning ‘trusted’ agents of others against them, or for inserting a small suggestion into an Amberite that might make all the difference. Using High Compelling on a target requires that the target be essentially helpless and at the sorcerer’s disposal for the entire process.
- Innate Spells: For a true master of sorcery, a spell can become so ingrained and well-known that the act of casting it no longer wipes it from her mind. This spell or spells can be cast whenever the sorcerer wishes, essentially without limit, though of course each spell does take a small toll in personal energy. Mainly, it means the caster will never be caught magically unarmed again. When this extension is taken, Pattern sorcerers gain two Innate spells, Trump sorcerers gain three, and Logrus sorcerers gain four. These spells function otherwise just as the caster’s normal spells do, including using however many lynchpins the caster can normally sustain. Innate spells do not count against the total limit of spells that can be hung, as they are not hung, merely brought forth.
- Master Lynchpins: Lynchpins that redefine the spell at a fundemental level. This kind of lynchpin could allow a targeted spell to hop to a new target, and treat that new target as if it was always the spell’s target. A barrier spell could be converted to dangerous force or energy when the need for blocking is past. A ‘harmless’ scrying spell could be converted to counterspell energy, snuffing the spell of the sorcerer being observed. For another option, a time-delay lynchpin that causes a spell to remain unused until some condition is met or amount of time has passed.
- Master Spellcrafter: An edge on the total number of spells or the number of lynchpins the sorcerer’s spells can hold. This extension could be purchased twice to extend both facets of spell construction. The exact increase in spells or lynchpins depends on the limit imposed by the sorcerer’s chosen power. Logrus users gain many more total spells when purchasing this extension, and Pattern users gain more Lynchpin options.
- Radiance: Rituals can generate enormous power, even ones simple enough to be hung like a regular spell. The sorcerer learns to allow this power in a hung ritual to bleed off into the air around her when casting a hung ritual. While the ritual will be less effective than if Radiance was not used, the power that floods outward shields the caster from almost any attack. While it’s still a good idea to have a friend or two watching one’s back, this ability allows some non-combat rituals to be cast in a combat situation without the caster throwing herself at the mercy of her enemies.
- Shadow Attunement: Given time to prepare a spot in a shadow with a relatively quick ritual, the Sorcerer can create a temporary effect that radiates power of the sort her spells rely on. This will give her spells the kind of power boost that they would normally get when near (but not at) the power’s locus. Takes about 15 minutes to set up, and is not subtle. Lasts for several hours after setup.
- Spell Synergy: Spells can be created in tandem, to have great similarity in their structure such that the same lychpin can affect two spells at once. A shielding spell could be micro-managed to hold off an attack while a flame-whip spell lashed out at the attacker. A targeted and area spell could be linked to double up on a single target, or to sweep lesser minions while not ignoring the commander. The only limitation is that the lynchpin action must be of the same basic type for both spells. A lynchpin that Empowered a shielding spell would also Empower the attack spell. A lynchpin that moved an area attack would be likely to pick a specific part of the target to attack for the linked targeted spell. One couldn’t fork an attack spell while directing one’s levitation spell to carry him somewhere. However, the attack spell could be forked, and the levitation forked as well to carry a comrade to safety.